Benedictine Schools of Richmond seeks first Principal
With a view toward their history and a desire to strengthen Catholic education, Benedictine College Preparatory and Saint Gertrude High School unified under a single new corporation, The Benedictine Schools of Richmond, in January 2020. The Benedictine Schools of Richmond will operate Saint Gertrude High School essentially as an all-girls school division and Benedictine College Preparatory essentially as an all-boys school division. The two schools will share the Benedictine Abbey campus, including some important facilities such as the campus church, auditorium, athletic fields, and a new state-of-the-art gymnasium. For 90 years, the two schools operated just 400 feet apart in the Museum District of Richmond. In 2013, Benedictine College Preparatory relocated to the 50-acre Benedictine Abbey campus. In 2021, Saint Gertrude High School will relocate to the Benedictine Abbey campus, where the schools will, once again, be in close proximity.
Start Date: August 2020
The Benedictine Schools of Richmond, the largest Catholic secondary education organization in Richmond, seeks a dynamic individual who will assume the programmatic leadership of both Saint Gertrude High School and Benedictine College Preparatory. The principal is charged first with coordinating the relocation of Saint Gertrude High School to the Benedictine Abbey campus while aligning school cultures and schedules in an exciting coordinate program structure. The principal will own the spiritual, academic, leadership, and athletic programs of the two schools, finding synergies that lead to the development of The Benedictine Schools of Richmond culture while respecting the single-sex programs that form its foundation. The incoming principal must be a faith-filled and visionary leader who excels at building teams, collaboration, and transformational leadership. The principal will report directly to the president of The Benedictine Schools of Richmond.
The first principal of The Benedictine Schools of Richmond will be mindful of these goals and opportunities:
- Instilling a vibrant Catholic identity
- Integrating two school cultures on one campus
- Enhancing the value proposition
- Planning for attractiveness and efficiency
Desired Qualities and Qualifications
The Benedictine Schools of Richmond is committed to providing students, faculty, and staff with a principal who is entrepreneurial,
enthusiastic, and team-centered.
The ideal candidate is a:
- Faith-filled practicing Catholic with unwavering commitment to Catholic education and a strong record of service to the Church
- Visionary and strategic leader with an institution-builder mindset
- Relationship and team builder who will be a high profile, joyful presence in the community
- Natural salesperson who develops positive relationships, even while solving problems and navigating difficult situations
- Logical decision maker with experience in executive leadership positions
- Educational leader with a natural intellectual curiosity, a vision for academic excellence, and fluency in pedagogical trends
- Financial steward who has experience working with budgets and income statements and who possesses a well-developed financial acumen
- Personnel manager who has experience with professional development, employment evaluations, and human resource management